Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dayton Hamvention 2011

May 20, 2011

WOW!  That's about all I have to say... ;-)


This was my third year going to Dayton, and it was probably my favorite.  There seemed to be a lot more attendance this year than last (at least on Friday when I was there).  I didn't purchase as many goodies as I have in years past.  I picked up the Heil Traveler w/ HTA-KHT adapter for my Kenwood D7A, and that was about it.  The only thing I regret about the trip was that I did not get many pics.  There was so much going on that the camera took a back seat.  I did manage to get a few good ones. 
 
My dream rotor - the Yaesu G-5500....

Left to right: KD8KSN, KC8JDS, KD8NUQ, KB8TZE.  My Dad (no call) was taking the pic.


AMSAT booth area
 
AMSAT satellite demo area.
It was great meeting up with several guys that I have talked with over the past year and a half on the birds.  It was fun going out with Keith, W5IU, and Mark, N8MH, and helping work/watching them work the birds.  I picked up my equipment later on and got on a low AO27 pass and talked with KB1PVH to get EM79 on the rover VUCC list. 

Me and Col. Doug Wheelock (ISS 25)

On to the highlight of the day...  Col. Doug Wheelock was at the AMSAT booth from 1:30-2:30p giving out autographs AND pictures (with you), so we stood in a 20 MINUTE - yes, a 20 MINUTE - line, and we got our picture taken with him, got a very nice picture of him that he autographed, and he also signed my Arrow boom, the same antenna that I worked him on last July when he was aboard the ISS, expedition 25.  I have a few pics of the antenna and Col. Wheelock below, and then there are a few miscellaneous pics.  I MAY put a video out within the next month.  I have not had a chance to look over the footage yet to see if it justifies a video.  We will see.

  


Photo credit KA2UPW
     
The antenna reads, "NA1SS to Planet Earth"...  [Col. Wheelock's signature] Commander, ISS 25"
   
Me monitoring AO27 while N8MH & W5IU worked it right behind the camera.  Not sure why I was making the face. :oP

No comments:

Post a Comment